Viber, Telegram and many other messaging apps already did it. Everyone was desperately waiting for WhatsApp to do it and finally today (January 21. 2015), shortly before midnight in Europe it finally happened: WhatsApp released their official web client. Until now it was such a pain in the neck to have it on your desktop (a.k.a. Bluestacks) with many limitations but now it’s officially possible.
Nevertheless, there are a few steps to successfully install it:
- As of now it’s only available for Android, Blackberry and Windows and in terms of browsers only with Google Chrome.
- Make sure you have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your phone (If you are using an Android phone, download version 2.11.498 here directly to your phone, at your own risk).
- Go to the website: https://web.whatsapp.com/. Once opened you should be seeing a QR code, which will be needed for the authentication process in the next step (see picture, to see what it should look like).
- Now take your phone, open WhatsApp and go to Settings, there you should see: “WhatsApp Web”.
- Click on “WhatsApp Web” and scan the QR code.
- Within seconds it will be ready.
Feel free to contact me if it you have any questions or need some assistance. Email me here and I am happy to help.